When trying to figure out what kind of fishing reel to put onto your rod, there are a lot of different options out there. However, none are quite as versatile or as reliable as the Penn Slammer III. Not only is this reel from a reputable company, but it is built solidly and comes in a wide variety of sizes to fit your needs.
When compared to other reels in its class, you can easily see why the Penn Slammer III is so popular. It’s super easy to use, it works on almost any fishing pole, and you can rely on it over and over again.
While some purists will remark that a bait caster is superior to a spinning reel, the fact is that when you have something like the Penn Slammer III, you don’t need to upgrade. While you still don’t get quite the same level of precision or control, the difference is much less noticeable than with other models. Let’s see why this is such a fantastic reel.
Durable Full Metal Body
First and foremost, you have to make sure that your reel can hold up to the kind of fish you’re trying to catch. Since the Penn Slammer III is available in eight different sizes, that means that the body has to be able to withstand the weight and power of all varieties of fish, from small trout to massive bass.
Fortunately, this reel is built for the challenge, thanks to its heavy-duty construction and all metal body. Not only will it hold its own on the rod, but it will enable you to reel in practically any fish with ease. As long as you match the size with the fishing line, you won’t have any problems.
CNC Gear Technology
When comparing different reels, one of the more essential distinctions is how well is retrieves. In this case, the Penn Slammer III comes with high-tech components that ensure a smoother process so that you can have more control.
As far as the gear ratio goes, this one has a rating of 4.2:1, which is towards the slower end of the spectrum. However, this gives you much more torque than a faster reel, which is necessary when trying to bring in a large catch.
6+1 Stainless Steel Bearings
Helping out with the smoothness factor is seven stainless steel ball bearings. At the minimum, you need four, so having three extra means that your line will glide effortlessly as you go. No matter which size you get, you will be impressed by how well it retrieves. Best of all, since the bearings are sealed, you also don’t have to worry about water getting in and rusting them.
Sealed Drag System
Along with the bearings, the front drag is also sealed to keep out water. This makes the Penn Slammer III ideal for both fresh and saltwater, so feel free to bring it with you on any fishing excursion. This model comes with light drag, which is essential for larger fish. Overall, you get as much performance as possible out of a spinning reel.
- Durable construction
- Smooth operation
- 6+1 bearings
- Easy to mount
- High-tech CNC gears
- Sealed drag system for better performance
- Front drag with max weight of 60 pounds
- 4.2:1 high-speed gear ratio
- Anti-reverse design
- Waterproof internal components
- Works for left and right-handed anglers
- Multiple sizes available for different line weights and lengths
- Some sizes are more durable than others
- In rare cases, you may not get the size that you chose
Q: How many yards can this reel hold?
- It depends on the model. For example, the 3500 design can carry 270 yards, but the next size up (4500) can hold 390 yards. As such, it’s imperative that you compare dimensions before you buy.
Q: Can this reel work with braided line?
- Yes, it is built to handle both braided and standard fishing line, so there won’t be any problems with either one.
Q: What is the max weight line I can have?
- Again, it depends on the size. For example, the 5500 allows up to 42 pounds, but higher models can go up to 80 or 100 pounds.
When you look at the Penn Slammer III and compare it to other reels in its class, you will notice that they don’t rank nearly as high. This reel is designed for experienced anglers, although novices can excel with it as well.
We like the durable construction, the sealed design, and the smoothness of its capabilities. Also, having eight different size options means that you can have a Penn Slammer III for all of your fishing needs, regardless of what you’re trying to catch.
- Shimano Stradic FK Spinning Reel Review
- Pflueger President Spinning Reel Review
- Abu Garcia Orra SX Review
- Zebco 33 Platinum 5 Ball Bearing Spincast Reel Review
- Daiwa Lexa 400 Fishing Reel Review
- Penn Fierce 2 Spinning Reel Review
- Penn Battle 2 Review
- Penn Pursuit 2 Review
- Penn Clash Spinning Fishing Reel Review
- Shimano Sedona Spinning Reel Review