If you love to fish and are a kayaker, you need to consider getting a trolling motor. This can be the difference between a good day and a great day! Not only do you want a trolling motor that offers good performance, but you need one that is reliable.
Here we supply you with all the information you need to determine if the Newport Vessels Kayak Series Trolling Motor is for you.
- The NV Kayak series trolling motor can be used in both freshwater and saltwater.
- The trolling motor comes with a 2 year warranty.
- This is a company that you can trust as it has excellent customer service.
- Excellent value for the money.
- To counter against any electrical damage, it comes with a 40 Amp circuit breaker.
- This trolling motor has great overall performance on the water.
- This may not be good for long sessions as it really eats up the battery life.
- The battery is not included in the purchase.
- The motor head and handle are not waterproof.
Newport is a great brand you can feel good about buying. They have a desire to create products that are durable, affordable, and independent on the water. They believe in customer satisfaction so much that they have a continuous process improvement to make sure customers are their focal point.
Newport Vessels creates a wide variety of water products, not just limited to trolling motors. They have boats, sups, and many accessories. They use the highest quality materials so you can buy in confidence.
- Power: 36 pounds || 55 pounds
- Water Compatibility: Saltwater and Freshwater
- Battery Cable Length: 5 feet 6 inches
- Horsepower Equivalent: 0.48 HP || 0.83 HP
- Speeds: 5 Forward | 3 Reverse
- Max Amp Draw : 29A || 52A
- Weight: 18 pounds || 23 pounds
- Shaft Length: 24 inches
- Included Propeller: 2 Blade (Small) || 3 Blade (Large)
- Shaft Diameter: 1.15 inches
- Tiller/Handle: 6 inches Telescoping
- Battery Meter: 5 Point LED
- Total Height: 35 inches || 36 inches
- Voltage: 12 V
- Lower Motor Diameter: 3 inches (36 pounds ) || 3 ⅜ inches (55 pounds)
- Compatible Battery Type:Lead-Acid
- Lower Motor Length: 13.7 inches (36 pounds) || 15.4 inches (55 pounds)
- Recommended Amp Hours: 50AH or larger
- Included Circuit Breaker: 40A || 50A
There are two different Newport Vessels Kayak Series Trolling Motors- 35 pounds and 55 pounds. There are really only two main differences in the two, which are the propeller numbers and the battery.
The 35 pound motor has two propellers and a battery of 30 amp, while the 55 pound motor has three propellers and a battery of 52 amp.
No matter what variation you purchase, both are extremely quiet.
Newport Vessels stands behind their products. They stand behind their 2 year warranty. One customer said the customer service rep went above and beyond what he needed to do to remedy the situation. Another customer said the process was easy to do after he submitted some images. Customers are pleased with the amount of support they receive when they have any issue with their trolling motors.
Customers are pleased overall with the trolling motor. This Newport Vessel will allow any fisher to get close to the action of the fish without scaring them away. Customers have stated that this is a great trolling motor with amazing features.
Kayakers say that it is important to them to have a good trolling motor to fight off the bigger boats in the water. Using the motor will allow a fisher to find their spot and stay there, instead of fighting a current.
One customer says this trolling motor far exceeded his expectations, even after doing countless reviews on the item and finding out through the reviews that it was already a pretty neat product.
Many customers are pleased with the water resistance this kayak trolling motor supports. One reviewer says the telescopic handle is a must for any kayak. Another says it is perfect for both fresh and saltwater, no matter where you are.
Ease of Use
Customers are pleased with the ease of use. It is installed easily and can also be removed. Those who have used this version say it works well for cruising on the water all day long. While it is lightweight, it is strong and can push a kayak around like none other.
There are 8 speeds total on this NV model. Five are forward and three are for reverse. Customers have stated that the first speed is very fast, but the others can not tell a difference between all that much. They have also felt that the low reverse speed was just a tad bit too fast.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the battery cable?
The battery cable is 5 feet 6 inches long. This allows for the battery placement to be flexible.
What do the two blades measure?
Each of the two blade propellers are 8.9 inches each. This not only gives better balance but more efficiency.
Does this trolling motor have a corrosion-resistant powder coating?
Yes, this does have the corrosion-resistant powder coating. This will ensure that you can safely use it in saltwater. All of Newport Vessel products are made for either fresh or saltwater.
What is the maximum size this trolling motor can support?
This trolling motor can support a kayak up to 11 feet.
Would this trolling motor be OK to use on a canoe?
Yes, we feel that this trolling motor would work well on a canoe.
We truly feel that the Newport Vessels Kayak Series is a great way to go. Not only is the unit built with high quality products, the company is very reliable when it comes to fixing any issues you may encounter.