When it comes to fishing, it’s imperative that you have the right rod and reel to ensure that your next catch doesn’t wind up as “the one that got away.” However, as any experienced fisherman will tell you, you usually have to buy your rod and reel separately and attach them yourself.
However, if you want to skip that extra step, you may be interested in this combo package from Abu Garcia. Here, you get the rod, reel, and even some fishing line to get you started. All you need is some bait and tackle, and you’ll be casting off in no time.
Most combo packages are designed for amateur fishermen, which means that they are not well built. However, the Blackmax is made for intermediate to veteran anglers, so you get higher quality materials. Let’s see how this compares to other rods.
One of the best ways to determine the quality of a fishing rod is to see how it’s made. First, the material will speak volumes as to its durability and flexibility. Although high-end rods are made of carbon fiber, graphite is certainly one of the top construction materials you can find. It’s both lightweight and highly bendable, which is perfect for fishing.
The other great thing about this rod is that it’s one piece. Some lower class models are broken into two or three pieces, but that just means that they can snap easier. Since there is already a break in the construction, a muscular fish can exploit that weakness.
Medium Power, Fast Action
When comparing fishing rods, there are two features that you have to pay attention the most. These are the power and action rating for the rod. The reason that these are so essential is that they will dictate how you can use the rod for fishing.
In this case, the Blackmax is medium power and fast action. The former rating means that the body is mostly stiff, which enables you to reel in larger fish. If the rod bent more significantly in the back, it would reduce the amount of retrieval power you have.
Fast action means that the top of the rod bends, rather than in the middle or down by the reel. The more that it bends, the slower it is when trying to reel in your catch. In this case, the more bending you have, the larger fish you can catch.
When you combine the two features, it means that the Blackmax is well suited for a wide range of small to medium-size fish. As long as they aren’t over 10 or 15 pounds, you shouldn’t have any issues bringing them in.
Also Read: G Loomis E6x Inshore Casting Rods Review
Rod and Reel Combo
As you can see, the rod for the Blackmax is high quality. But what about the reel? Both of them have to work together to ensure that you get the best results, so if the reel isn’t up to the challenge, you might as well look elsewhere.
Fortunately, that’s not a problem. Although it’s not as sturdy as some high-end models, it’s more than capable of catching the kinds of fish that the Blackmax was designed for. The reel comes with 4+1 ball bearings (one is for reverse), a Power Disk system to reduce the amount of drag, and a 6.4:1 gear ratio. Overall, these factors mean that the reel is fast on retrieval and won’t get tangled easily.
- Rod and reel combination
- Durable graphite construction
- Available in one or two pieces
- Medium or medium/heavy power
- Fast action rod
- Fishing line included
- 4+1 ball bearings in reel
- Power disk system reduces drag
- 24-ton rod is durable and lightweight
- Bent handle for better ergonomics
- Soft grip for convenience
- Available in 6’6” or 7’
- Stainless steel guides
- Highly sensitive rod
- In rare cases, the pole may break under heavy pressure
- Reel is not as high quality as the rod
Q: What is the best line weight for this rod?
- Although it comes with a spool of the fishing line already, I would recommend no more than 30-pound line.
Q: Can I use this rod in saltwater?
- You could, but I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s made for fresh water only. However, if you clean it after each use, it might be viable for both.
Q: Is the reel okay for right or left hands?
- You have to choose which side you want when you buy it. The reel is not ambidextrous.
Although expert anglers swear that you have to buy a rod and a reel separately, the fact is that the Blackmax is perfect for most casual or intermediate fishermen. It’s ideal for when you just want to cast your line and pick up a few trout or something similar. The Blackmax is both convenient and reliable.
- Best Braided Fishing Lines : Impartial Reviews & Comparison
- Top 10 Picks : Best Hard Tackle Box Reviews
- Best Side Imaging Fish Finder
- Best Kayak Fish Finder Reviews and Buying Guide
- Unique Gifts for Hunters
- Best Fluorocarbon Line For Baitcasting & Spinning Reels
- Lowrance Vs Humminbird – Which Fish Finder Is Better?