35 Fish Facts that Will Make You Never Want to Eat Fish Again
1. For every 1lb of shrimp on your dinner table, 26lb of other sea creatures are killed.
2. When you buy shrimp from Thailand, you support slave labor. Men are bought, kept on fishing vessels and forced to do 20-hour shifts.
3. There are no legal requirements for the humane slaughter of fish.
4. 59% of the fish sold as ‘tuna’ in the U.S. is not actually tuna.
5. In tuna farms, small tuna are dumped into netted pens, fattened on pellets of concentrated fish flesh, and killed if they don’t die first from parasites.
6. 70-80% of the salmon marked “wild” is actually farmed.
7. In 55 years, humans have managed to wipe out 90% of the ocean’s top predators. These include sharks, Bluefin tuna, swordfish, marlin, and king mackerel.
8. If current trends continue, researchers predict aquaculture could outgrow the supply of fishmeal by 2020
9. A 2006 study of the catch of data predicted, if fishing rates continue apace, the globes fishers will all have collapsed by 2048.
10. Imported farmed shrimp is often filthy, containing:
- Chemical residues
- Mouse/ rat hair
- Pieces of insects
11. Research has shown fish feel pain and stress and fishing practices usually entail evisceration, starvation and asphyxiation.
12. Farmed Salmon has 10x the amount of cancer-causing organic pollutants than wild salmon.
13. Farmed salmon is gray in color. A pink color and fishy smell are artificially added.
14. Chicken feces is one of the main ingredients in farm fish feed.
15. Farm-raised mussels contain 6x more Dibutlyin than wild mussels. Dibutyltin is used in PVC plastics and can impair immune system functionality.
16. Between 2005-2010, 25% of foodborne illness caused by imported food involved seafood.
17. 31.5 million tonnes of fish caught from the world’s oceans each year is ground up for animal feed.
18. 86% of fish is imported, half of those imports are factory farmed.
19. 300,000 Whales, dolphins and porpoises die each year after becoming entangled in fish equipment.
20. Around 73 million sharks are thrown back into the ocean each year, with their fins cut off.
21. 27 million tonnes of fish are thrown away each year. That’s enough to fill the Titanic 600 times.
22. Farmed Tilapia in China are fed pig and goose manure – this manure contains salmonella.
23. If you were served a plate of sushi alongside all the animals that had to die to get it to you, the plate would be 5ft wide.
24. In 2009, illegal antibiotics were found in three types of imported fish from china.
25. In Vietnam, fish is kept fresh with ice made from bacteria filled tap water.
26. More than 28000 sea turtles are captured each year in the skimmer – trawl nets used to catch shrimp.
27. 50% of swordfish caught are tossed back. 77% of those tossed back are already dead.
28. Globally, illegal fishing is estimated to be worth as much $10 Billion.
29. 20 of the world’s Albatross species are under threat from illegal fishers.
30. The fishing of wild salmon impacts 137 species.
31. 20% of the weight of tuna catch is chucked back as “bycatch”. Casualties typically include turtles, ray, dolphins, sharks, and endangered albatross.
32. Longlines with baited hooks can extend up to 50 miles, These unintentionally attract and kill a huge range of sea mammals.
33. Sharks kill 12 people per year. But people kill 11,417 sharks per hour.
34. According to the world wildlife Fund, 90% of the ocean’s large fish have already been fished out.
35. In a year, Scotland’s fish farming creates as much nitrogen as the sewage of 3.2 million people.
More Helpful Resources:
- 5 Best Salt-Free Water Softener
- Best Rain Gear for Fishing
- Best Fishing Float Tube
- Best Fluorocarbon Line For Baitcasting & Spinning Reels
- Best Braided Fishing Lines- Impartial Reviews & Comparison
- Best Kayak Fish Finder Reviews and Buying Guide
- Lowrance Vs Humminbird – Which Fish Finder Is Better?
- Top 7 Best Canoe for Fishing -Tested & Reviewed by Expert Anglers