I am Taylor. I have been kayak fishing since 2009. Since I started, I’ve fished in a variety of water bodies including small lakes and slow flowing rivers. What I really like about kayak fishing is that you can easily row to a secluded spot where you know fish love to hang out.
During the time I’ve been actively fishing, I’ve discovered one important thing – if you’re to catch any fish, you’ll need to invest in the right fishing gear. Finding the best fish finder for kayak is one of the things you’ll need to do if you’re to guarantee a good catch every time you head out into the water.
Although fish finders are built to help you identify fish and other objects that lie beneath the water surface, they were originally built to help naval ships detect enemy submarines and other objects that were under water. Decades later, fish finders are more advanced and are an important device anglers need to invest in.
Given the hundreds of different brands and models of kayak fish finders available, you might believe that choosing the best unit is simple. It isn’t. Finding the best kayak fish finder for kayaks requires you consider several factors. These range from the fish finder’s screen size to built in features like GPS. The size of your kayak and whether it’s a hard body or inflatable will also come into play when you choose a fish finder for your kayaking expeditions.
That’s why I decided to create this portable fish finder reviews article. To help you choose the best unit for your kayak without having to go through the often long process of testing several units before deciding on the right fit for your boat.
I have started by reviewing 10 high quality kayaking fish finders. I have personally owned several units from this list. After the reviews, I have included a detailed buying guide plus the considerations you need to look at when investing in the best portable fish finder.
|Model||Image||Editor Rating||Beam||Display size, inches|
|NorCross HawkEye F33P||3.3||Single||2.3|
|iBobber Wireless Bluetooth||4.8||Dual||Phone screen|
|Garmin 010-01550-00 Fish Finder||4.5||Single||4|
|FishHunter Military Grade Portable Fish Finder||4.8||Dual||Phone screen|
|Humminbird 710198-1 XNT 9 20 T Transducer Fish Finder||4.4||Single||no|
|Deeper Smart Fish Finder||3.6||Dual||Phone screen|
|Lowrance Elite-3X Fishfinder||4.2||Single||320*240|
|Garmin echo 100 Fishfinder||4.5||Single||4|
|FishHunter 3D Wireless Fishfinder||3.8||Dual||Phone screen|
|Humminbird Fish Finder||4.1||Single||5|
Review of 10 best Fish Finder for Kayaks
NorCross HawkEye F33P Fish Finder
This tool is developed by Norcross which is famous as one of the best finsh finder for kayaks in 2017. It’s a small marine tool which is ideal for fishermen. The sonar beam angle 25 degrees wide and can show any structural reading from 1.5 to 100 feet. The dimension is 6x3x2inches, and the weight is 1.5 pounds only.
There are four different sensitivity settings for users. So it’s tough to select which setting is optimized for you. Well, it is largely based on the clarity and depth of water. Dirty water may require higher sensitivity which will consume more power. With a broad and wide cone angle, you may face more density of debris or junk.
There’s a mountable side screened sonar sensor which guarantees even bigger fishes. It does have a 2 stage audible fish alarm. The number of false reading is also reduced by it. Battery size is AAA, and the amount is needed four. The palm-sized design can also be handy.
If you are looking for a perfect marine equipment, our recommendation is the NorCross HawkEye. Let’s have a look at some other features.
- Ultra wide 25-degree sonar angle . can detect below 99.9 feet of water layer
- 35 feet length of cable and side strap. The machine can operate at zero degrees Fahrenheit
- Very easy to use. Simple power on buttons and easy interface to adjust for beginners
- Fits in the palms of your hand
- Broadside scanning feature can detect all the fishes around your boat.Have a well synced GPS device to save your favorite places and come for later use.
|Extremely user-friendly.||It’s not waterproof.|
|Less power is consuming and large battery backup.||Pressing the buttons too hard can make those inactive.|
|Heavy and durable cover casing.||Long cord can be quite annoying.|
|Long sensor is connecting wire.|
|Super sensitive sensor.|
iBobber Wireless Bluetooth Smart Fish Finder
iBobber Wireless Bluetooth Smart Fish Finder is the topping model of our best fish finder for kayaks list.This module is a recent example for smart fish finders. The product dimension is 3x3x3 inches. The shipping weight is 12 ounces. The model works by a lithium ion battery. The bubbler is designed to have a perfect balance and stability. You can connect using iPhone or an Android.
The ice and night fishing can also be a whole lot easier. You can detect hidden fishes in the ice holes or at night. It can identify fishing creeps even at tranquil nights.
Another special feature of this best fish finder for kayaks is the shore fishing which can be difficult in typical transducers. But using a castable fish finder you can easily catch the fishes in the shore which may hide in the holes. The simple user interface can easily be handled by any smartphone users or any first-time users.
When you need to access the access the signals with your smartphone iBobber Wireless Fish Finder is the best option.
Heres have a look at some of other features.
- This module can be fitted in kayaks or SUP boats with the hanging bracket
- excellent viewing angle ensures you are having the lead of larger fish frenzy.
- This fishing module works in fine sync with Google watch or any other GPS devices.
- Sonar beam can focus on salted and obviously in fresh water.
- A smart wireless fish finder can be a nice gift to your dearest ones.
- Excellent customer service and home repairing.
|Easy to use and setup.||Bluetooth connection problem might sometimes occur due to the situation.|
|Wide Bluetooth range.||Sometimes the depth of the fish may not be detected clearly if you keep the device far away.|
|Free apps available on the store.||The app might cause a slight problem to your mobile phone battery. But if you use it correctly nothing will occur.|
|Can be connected with iOS and Android phones. Also with iWatch and Google Watch|
|Unique sonar technology allows you to detect fish of every size with a color code which scans at 120-degree angle.|
Garmin 010-01550-00 Fish Finder
Garmin 010-01550-00 Fish Finder– is another of the top rated best fish finder for kayaks according to users and expert reviews. Garmin 010-01550-00 Striker 4 is a rugged designed finder with a dimension of 3.6 x 1.6 x 5.9 inches. And the weight of this module is 8 ounce only. Manufactured by Garmin, this model is a smart example of highly sensitive GPS. It can sync with the server at very high speeds.
Another feature of this model is waypoint mapping. The GPS can save the direction and places you often visit. If any obstacles appear in your course, you’ll get signals and chose a different path. Wide sonar angle provides broad details and graphical representation of the screen which will be very helpful.
Chirp sonar and fishing ID is used to detect whether the obstacle is bushes or fishes. It can be used to detect large sized fishes easily. Moreover, the rugged design will provide you better stability while on the boat.
For well accurate GPS navigation you should buy the Garmin Striker 4B. Some main features are
- Lightweight and portable
- Long standby time means you can navigate the waterways much longer time
- Built in flasher feature is ideal for vertical and ice jigging
- Chirp sonar detects fishing frenzy from distance to give you positive signal
- The design can withstand humid weather and marine environment
- External battery and power cord is needed to recharge it. Good GPS syncing.
|Ideal for beginners||Some users claim Garmin customer service is not helpful.|
|Best suited for marine environment||May does not perform well in salt water|
|Highly sensitive GPS to monitor the speed real time||The backlight might have a short lifespan. It is recommended to check the warranty.|
|You can easily run it off of a 12v tool battery.|
FishHunter Military Grade Portable Fish Finder
This portable fish finder can be used for both finding the fishes and the depth of your waterways. Patented by FishHunter, the module has a dimension of 5 x 5 x 8.5 inches whereas the weight is 1.3 pound. Has a night vision lighting and no exterior joints to cause possible leakage.
The main feature of this military grade fish finder is the huge frequency of the sonar. The transducer has a rating of 380kHz which is pretty high considering other finders. The towing point is very secured. Fishing is no more trouble in the icy water. You can navigate the fishes easily with this feature.
Fishhunter portable fishfinder is designed military grade. You can use it in humid or rainy weather without any problem. You can use this device as a fathom meter which is used to measure the depth of water grounds. The easy user interface if you import the signal to your Android or iOS mobile phones.
For professional fishermen and heavy duty functioning the best module is FlushHunter military grade fish finder. Let’s have some look at the key points
- Highest frequency transducer ensures better view and details on the screen.
- Perfect for professional fishermen who sails in the sea for weeks.
- There is a water temperature sensor available to detect the temperature.
- The power can obtain signals from a minimum of 100feet.
Fishhunter fishfinder can provide you raw footage of the bottom of the river or pond
|It has a Bluetooth facility, so it doesn’t need any reception of work.||Sometimes Bluetooth creates problems due to its range.|
|It has 8 hours battery backup on a single charge.||If you kept your device too far, then it becomes a slight issue with fish detection ability.|
|It measures the temperature of the bottom of the water.||The app which is with it sometimes create problems but using it carefully solve all the issue.|
|It shows fish directly on its screen of smartphone or tablet|
|Its maps are so accurate determining the fish.|
Humminbird Fish Finder
The Humminbird 710198-1 XNT is another of the best fish finder for kayaks which is a rather big sized fish finder with larger and broad facilities. The item weight is 4.5 pounds, and the dimension is 15.1 x 8.5 x 7.3 inches. This high-quality fish finder is used when the accuracy is much more important despite the size.
The transducer can operate in both 200kHz and 83kHz frequencies with a cone angle range between 60degree/20degrees. The cable is 20 feet long, and there is a seven pin modular plug. The single and dual beam projection can obtain wide reflected data.
This module can be transom mounted. Built-In temperature sensors are helpful to detect water temperature. The fishes may also show up due to the temperature difference. This transducer is one the best quality models in modern times thanks to flawless precision.
Humminbird 710198-1 XNT is the best when precision matters the most.Have a look at some other features.
- Dual band (83 & 200kHz) frequency for all round data
- The beam angles vary from 20 degrees to 60 degree makes it one of the best transducers.
- 20 feet cable length with seven pinned modular plug
- This model can be mounted on other Humminbird sonar systems like Matrix, Pmax.
For any malfunction or technical errors, you can contact the customer care service thanks to 1-year warranty.
|Active frequency signal||Most of the sonar systems are compatible but old versions only are not fit for it|
|Easy to handle and comfortable to use.||When the Humminbird Depth Transducer is connected with the sonar system, it may cause GPS locating problems.It doesn’t occur always.|
|Gives you the possible best output.||The temperature sensor might not give the perfect accuracy always. It might have little bit difference.|
|Extremely secure device and cable.|
|Temperature measuring facility with a built-in sensor.|
Deeper Smart Fish Finder
The deeper fish finder 3.0 works in connected with tablets and smartphones and appropriate for Apple iOS and Android platform. It functions in offline and online mode and also facilitates users with functional features like Offline Maps, Solunar Forecast Calendar, Camera, Weather Forecast, Night or Day Screen Color Mode, Fishing notes, option for Social Media sharing and many other helpful options. The basic features are-
- It is a diminutive device.
- Dual frequency fish finder provides the double area coverage. It has an underwater structure and fish and the wide beam 90 kHz (55°) for expanded search area.
- The box contains- Deeper Smart fish finder; USB wire; two attachment bolts; neoprene carry pouch; manuals on quick guide, safe usage, and regulations.
- Deeper fish finder 3.0 can be cast any spot on the water. This device is powerful enough to function correctly in the depths from 0.5 meters/ 1.5 feet to ~40 meters/ 130feet below the surface line in both salt and fresh waters. The deeper smart fishfinder 3.0 temperature sensors provide right water temperature.
It is a wireless device with the castable echo sounder. The device floats on the surface and sends detailed information on bottom and water column straight above the android or smartphone screen. It captures bottom structure, depth, vegetation, temperature, fish location and other relevant data points.
|Ease of use- the pair of a smartphone to the deeper is very straightforward and quick.||Some devices have reported issues with Bluetooth connections.|
|No data connectivity is required.||The battery voltage is not directly displayed.|
|The wireless design is tremendous for keeping a low profile.||The owner cannot change his/ her battery.|
|Battery performance is excellent and durable.|
|The app contains tons of exclusive features and performance of the sonar is satisfactory. It puts you on the top of the fish.|
Lowrance Elite-3X Fishfinder
Elite-3x is the cheapest and affordable, colorful fish finder powered by Broadband SounderTM having water temperature measuring sensor and fish I.D . It contains LED-backlit color display, bottom contours structure, dual frequency 83to 200 kHz, etc. The basic features are-
- The bracket included in the box allows you to fix the device with your boat or kayak. With this, you can quickly adjust the angles in which you’d like to view the display. Every day is fishing day considering the facilities you’re about to receive you’d like to see the screen. Every day is fishing day considering the facilities you’re about to receive.
- You can also zoom into areas where you’d like to fish in with quick keys.
- Fishes show different activities at different Some show up at days, and some wake up at night hours. With this fishfinder, you can search for fishes both days and nights. You can maintain the backlight range with the power button to adjust your preferences.
- With this model, you can use both 83kHz or 200 kHz frequencies to know what’s under or around your boat. This feature helps you get a better representation of what’s happening while you’re fishing.
- This feature is helpful to operate the module in vast sunlight. If the glass screen reflects too much in the sun, it’s tough to navigate properly. The LED display has a resolution (320 x 240pixels) and with this feature, you can view regardless of harsh sunlight.
|High tech sonar technology to identify fishes from other garbage||Some buyers claim that the customer service is not helpful|
|Wide viewing angle and anti-glaring against sunlight||If the transducer doesn’t work fine, it is recommended to buy a separate module|
|Backlight feature to work at night||The GPS may not function properly in speedy boats|
|Dual frequency for maximum visualization|
|Good quality LED screen to understand the diagrams easily|
Garmin Echo 100 Fishfinder
The Germin Echo Fishfinder comes up with the art fish tracking technology that makes fish finding comfortable. The images on the screen will be clean and sharp. The model is capable of displaying both water depth and temperature. The device is waterproof and got audible alarms which will alert about deep water. The basic features are-
- The Germin Echo Fishfinder comes up with a transducer. The transducer can provide the frequency of 200 KHz and an angle of 60 degrees. The transducer is ideal and powerful which will help to determine the depth and temperature of water.
- The device comes up with a display of 4 inches along with an 8 level grayscale. The Germin Echo Fishfinder has the screen resolution of 160 × 256 pixels. The device also comes up with a two-dimensional imaging system.
- The model provides the definition of the image. The display is crystal clean and sharp.
- The voltage of the device ranges from 10V to 20V. The transmitter offers the capacity range of 100W to 800W.
- The Germin Echo Fishfinder consumes up to 100 watts of power which makes the model most powerful.
- Ther Germin Echo 100 Fishfinder comes up with Bluetooth system, and the casting range is up to 25 meters. The depth range of the model is up to 600 feet.
- The device has a complete charging station. The model contains charger of its own so that you do not have to buy it from outside.
|The device is very easy to use. Both amateur and experienced fishermen can use it easily||The device is to be kept close. Otherwise, it creates problems regarding detection.|
|The device is very small and can be kept in small places without any problem.||The water speed cannot be identified.|
|Ideal for small and medium sized boat.||The battery voltage is not directly displayed.|
|The device has a very high resolution so that the screen is very sharp and clean.|
|The display response is very fast.|
FishHunter Directional 3D Wireless, Portable Fish Finder
FishHunter Directional 3D Wireless, Portable Fish Finder belongs to the bottom of our best fish finder for kayaks list, but still, the FishHunter Directional 3D is an entirely portable and having five tri-frequency transducers. Fish Hunter Directional 3D has exclusive technology that displays you the better quality picture. This stands 160ft below from surface and 200ft above from surface. The basic features are-
- The 3D portable wireless fish finder has four fantastic sonar views. But to covering more area, especially, in the bottom coverage area, A 3D wireless sonar is available here. You will get, 3D bottom mapping, 3D contouring, Directional casting and ice fishing flasher views From this 3D wireless sonar, this helps you to get more fish.
- The features of 3D fishing can indicate the area where the trees are available inside the water. The area where trees are more, you can find more fishes because there has a lot of food and oxygen for fishes.
- The most attractive features of this 3D portable fish finder are it has Wi-Fi connectivity. In the previous case, Bluetooth is used to connect the fish finder. But you will get Wi-Fi system in this device which becomes four times faster than Bluetooth connectivity system.
- From the 3D Wireless Portable Fish Finder, you will get five powerful tri-frequencies. The frequency of this portable fish finder is almost 381,455,675 KHz. Because of this high range of frequency, you will get ultra-resolution and which works five times darker in the bottom coverage area than another fish finder.
- The most important features of this fish finder are, it has a long range of connectivity.
|Using Wi-Fi system makes the fishfinder faster.||3D mapping is a characteristic of this fish finder. This is not the necessary thing.|
|Long range activity helps you to catch more fishes in very short time||You can’t connect more than one device at the same time.|
|Four incredible wireless sonar helps you when you are engaged in ice fishing.||From the boat, catching fish is so easy. But from the shore, you will not get enough fish because, at the shore point, fish is not so available.|
|3D wireless sonar makes the fish finder more efficient.|
|The features of 3D mapping help the position where more fish are available.|
Humminbird Fish Finder
Imaging and GPS-Humminbird HELIX 5 DI Fish Finder with Down-Imaging and GPS is an excellent addition in the online market. Although it’s at the very bottom of our best fish finder for kayaks list, this find finder has awesome benefits and features. That make it unique from other fish finders.
The basic features are-
- The leading device, Humminbird Depth Transducer has a highly secured system. This new model is designed to provide the best security.
- The Humminbird Depth Transducer has a weight of 5 pounds only. It’s easy to carry and set up with the sonar system. It has a tiny size of dimensions of 15*8.5*7.3 inches. This device is not only easy to operate but also too light to carry.
- The Humminbird Depth Transducer model offers you an active frequency signal which covers a larger area than before. Within this frequency range, depth of substance underneath water can be easily measured. This unit is compatible with many sonar systems. Like, Pmax, Matrix and with many series of Humminbird.
- The temperature sensor of the Humminbird Depth Transducer is a sensation of the depth transducers era. The built-in temperature sensor is very sensitive, and it shows the accurate temperature at where the device is placed.
- You’ll get seven modular plug port to connect with the compatible series of sonar system fish finder.
- The newest and most advanced model can detect depth through frequency at an angle of 20 to 60This model is so much improved than the previous models. The stable rate distributes uniformly with the angular range.So, the model is very much efficient and effective.
|Extremely user-friendly.||After the depth of 200 ft, it troubles to view the fish location correctly.|
|Indeed, lowest possible price to get all the significant features.||It doesn’t have European maps.|
|Multiple angle facility.||Sometimes may give wrong readings due to external magnetic fields.|
|Relatively easy to mount.|
|Facilitates with GPS map.|
Methodology of The Best Fish Finder for Kayaks Review
Choosing the best fish finder for kayaks can always be a tough decision. It’s possible to confuse between products and features. We made a ranking of 10 best products as you seen above. Here’s what is a parameter of choosing the top product.
Value and price optimization is a vital part of economics. It’s the ratio how broadly you want the product versus its price. Like for an example, it’s okay to spend some cash for a fishfinder. But when it comes you are just a weekend fisherman then it’s a good idea not to spend much. But for your passion, it’s always right to go for what your heart says. Buying something without your will won’t is of much use.
The next important thing we have given much priority while creating the best fish finder for kayaks list is, the energy consumption of the product. Like for 50kHz at 100watts, the transducer can show reading up to 400 feet. While for the same criterion at 200kHz it will show up just 100 feet. And again, in fishing boats, there’s no external power source. Your device will have to work on battery power. For short time fishing, you may stay tension free. But when it comes to sea fishing, you may have to keep the machine on for a week. So the power and standby time should be a big criterion.
Cone angles and sonar beam
Cone angle is the topmost priory of the transducer. Cone angle defines how wide the beam is projected from the fishing boat to the bottom of the river. Larger cone angles scan more important areas. While the small ones study on the little arena. Cone angles are available from 9-60 degrees. Most of the transducers are of 16-20 degrees. There’s a lacking of wide cone angle because it scans unnecessary areas which don’t fit on small screens. Also, it will show you results from different water depth. To which your fishing nets or hooks may not reach.
Why Should You Buy a Fish Finder?
Did it happen to you like waiting all day long and return home empty handed? Well, it’s typical for all of us fishermen. We show up one day; fishes show up next day. It’s like a game of nature and to have the tide in your favor, buy one now. For three criterion you may need purchase a finder.
If you are a fisherman, fish finders are the primary component along with your boat and net. Ever played fishing frenzy? I will take it as a yes. Well, now you will be playing it for real time. More catch, more fishes more money what else? Sailing in the with less than the fish you expected can be a frustrating experience. Now why are we talking about our problems when we can solve it. Save some budget. Buy a quality product. Have the chance to be the gainer at the end of the day. Wise people spend their money on productive purposes. Not to buy one is a foolish approach.
If you are a passionate fisherman with some weekend experience, a suitable model of best fishfinder for kayaks can be very handy to you. Novice always finds it difficult to maintain the same patience hours long which is necessary for fishing. And it becomes tougher when someone’s counting on you like your boy. Buy one, set that with your kayak and BINGO! Fishes. Some still prefer to fish by them hooks. But the choice is all up to you. And you won’t regret a bit of any buy.
The third case can be gross yet pathetic. When your fishfinder is lost or broken. If you are a pro user you know the benefits and advantages. And probably you’re looking for a new model if the old one is not satisfactory enough. Put all the tensions aside. Chose anything from our list according to the budget and use then start fishing. Hope that you won’t need any further information to reach the best fish finder for kayaks you want.
Buying Guideline For Fish Finder Kayaks
Which factors should you consider before you purchase any recommended best fish finder for kayaks. Always check the key factors which suit you best. Here’re our parameters to define one from another. Hope that can be helpful for you to find the best fish finder for kayaks.
Not every unit comes with a transducer. You may have to order and set up another transducer for that. So before rolling the cash I recommend you to check the transducer and its quality. The transducer is like a lens of the camera. It sends sound waves and collects them. The iterative process helps to determine object size. So you can understand what a transducer less fishfinder can do any good to you.
A GPS enabled fish finder is a must have in any best fish finder for kayaks. Global positioning system marks your position in the waterways. You can also save your location and direction where you have found many fishes. A GPS with real time sync will be very handy to you in places. But it is recommended to limit the boat speed during navigation. Because in high speed the device can malfunction and point out at different coordinations.
It’s crucial to adjust the wattage of your device. There a minimum 600 to highest 3000watts available. Better wattage is for better optimization. High watts are recommended for serious fishermen. The frequency rate is available from 50kHz to 200kHz. The use of power and frequency should be described broadly in the manual. So either you can optimize for small signals or use larger power for better definition.
Screen Size, Color and Resolution
The monitor can be black/white or colored. I suggest you buy a color screen with a good resolution. It will help you to obtain and understand better details. Much important info can’t is understood in a low-resolution B/W screen. So it’s your choice to invest or not. But a good display is the key to making good catch
If you go for the through-hull transducer, I recommend choosing between bronze and plastic transducer to get the best fish finder for kayaks. While for wooden hulls, bronze is a better option. Because expansion and shrinking of wood may damage the plastic outfit. Other metal may be used for better stability. Now you see why transducer material Is important.
Thanks For Rolling
The choice is all up to you at the end of the day. The info and specifications we have provided should be enough for you to make the decision to purchase the best fish finder for kayaks. As science progresses, we are becoming less needy to nature. Now we produce the better amount of fishes, meats, and vegetables than before. A fish finder is also a type of those advantages. Why should you wait when you can catch the fish you want. It works like a camera to you in the water. The fishes got no place to hide when you have a well-equipped fish finder. And our objective is to help you chose it from the models available in the market. Our mentioned products are well known in the market and users have a positive impression of it. And you can have one of the best models by listening to what we said. Have some nice fishing and keep scoring some big catches.